Friday, September 14, 2012

We'll Miss You, Boy.


The hardest thing I've ever, ever done.

Today, we said our final goodbye's to Tucker, our faithful Golden Retriever of 12 years.   


My dad wanted me to help take Tucker in today, because my mom couldn't bring herself to be there.

I don't blame her.  At all.

I loved this dog.  Even though I didn't reside in the same house as he did for the past 6 years since getting married, I still had many years with him.  Many memories.  He was the best dog.

THE best.

I once followed a news story where after some terrible aftermath of a natural disaster, golden retrievers were brought in to help these people cope and place them back on the road to recovery.

I remember in one of my own trivial "disasters" - back in my dating years.

My first heartbreak.

I had always been the bearer of bad news.  But...not that March afternoon in the commons.  Out of nowhere.  He thought we should take spend some time apart.  I was devastated.  I was 18, and I thought my life was over.

I went home...crying.  Sobbing.  Life wasn't fair.

I was in the living room - no one was home yet.  Tucker nudged the french doors open enough to squeeze through.  And he came over to me, sensing something was wrong.  Then when nothing else could have possibly picked up my spirits - that silly dog started playing tug-o-war with my scrunchi.  And he wouldn't stop.  Until he had me laughing.  He helped me realize that things were going to be okay...that I could laugh again.

He helped our family through many hard times.

What a good pet.

I had to drive today with Tucker in the back seat.  His window rolled down.  Every turn, every lane change, took me closer to the inevitable.  Made me so sad.  Lots of tears.

I didn't want to have to be involved in this.  But, I did it.  For my parents.  I did it for them.  Imagining their pain with the way I felt.  I knew I had to do it.

I petted him until he was gone.

Cole will miss his "Tuck-tuck."  We will miss our almost daily visits to see him.  But, we know we did what we needed to do.

I'll miss you, boy.  Thanks for the wonderful memories.

7 comments:

  1. I'm soo sorry!!! It is soooo hard to lose a pet!!! I remember taking our dog in. He lived to the ripe old age of 14, and had been in our family since I was three. Definitely one of the saddest moments of my life!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My hear is breaking for you, I know that loss and it is so hard to bare.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for your nice words. They mean a lot.



    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashley, I just went backwards and caught up on your blogs. I love reading this! You make me laugh and then cry when reading about your dog! And, I am pretty sure I will not have an easy time losing weight if I keep reading your recipes!! :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leah ~ So good to hear from you. Glad you "stopped" by!

    All of the recipes I post are all-natural, fat-free AND calorie-free.

    (God forgive me for all of that.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay. You made me cry. : ) We have 3 goldens. Many of the people who come to buy puppies from us are literally grieving the loss of a golden they have lost to illness after many years - a member of the family. Some of them say they have just recently healed enough to be able to accept another golden into their lives. It is an amazing breed. Sounds like Tucker was incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  7. He was...and will always be missed. Thanks for your comments.

    ReplyDelete