Thursday, October 11, 2012

Spared A Tragedy


We just got back from a lovely family night of Dewey's, some traintime at Barnes & Noble, and delicious Germanchokolatekake ice cream from Coldstone Creamery.

It all could have ended in a horrific tragedy though.

We were walking back to our car.  Cole was walking with me, and we would stop here and there, he'd open his mouth, and I'd give him a big spoonful of ice cream.  He had his coat hood on.  He looked adorable - only his face peeking out, mouth covered in chocolate.

Newport on the Levee is a busy, busy place - the traffic heavy, cars not heeding the speed limit.  With the Red's loss, there were a lot of extra mourners drinking their misery away tonight.  And there's this one rounded corner where the sidewalk stops abruptly and the road is RIGHT there...no extra brim or no room for any carelessness.  Cars whipping right past those who are waiting to cross the street - less than 2 feet from pedestrians.

There was a cop at this corner attempting to direct valet traffic from a parking garage.  But the light was green, and cars were zooming around the corner.  Scott had Drake and was waiting at the edge of the sidewalk. Cole had managed to get ahead of me and was walking innocently, looking at the ground, his hood blinding his vision.  Probably munching on his ice cream.

I thought he'd stop at the edge of the sidewalk.  Normally, he does.  He didn't.  And Scott didn't see him come up to the intersection.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw white and headlights.  A white car.  Going way too fast.  The cop saw what was happening about the same time I did.  He yelled, "Sttooooppp, and I screamed, "Coleee," and reached out and snatched his head back.

One more step, just ONE more step - and I know that we would've lost our Cole tonight.

Cole stopped in his tracks, and jumped into my arms.  Scared to death.  My feelings exactly.  I cannot imagine losing one of my children - let alone, watching them die right in front of me.

I was holding back tears, unsucessfully.  Squeezing him so tight.  In disbelief that something so tragic could have happened to US, to ME.  After asking what was wrong with me and seeing me cry, Cole kept asking, "Was dat boy trying to help me?  He saved me?"  I told him yes.

I'd like to think "that boy" was an angel sent to save my little guy.  The walk sign saved that cop from lots of unexpected kisses from an indebted mommy.

My insides are still shaking.  Hugging his small frame tighter than ever.  Giving him extra kisses.

And so incredibly thankful that God was watching out for him tonight in Newport.

SO, so, so incredibly thankful.  

4 comments:

  1. Wow, Ashley, I can't imagine. That is so very scary and I'm thankful things ended the way they did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, Valerie! God is beyond good to us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had those times - when it takes your breath away how easy your life could change in a moment. And you can't hold or kiss or protect them enough. God is good.

    And I've learned over and over that even when the story doesn't end happy....He's good then too. And this is not my home.

    ReplyDelete