Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Strawberry Poppyseed Dressing - The Star of the Show

I'm longing for Spring.  Or at least something warmer.  Or consistent.  This weather...makes me wanna slap somebody.  Crazy Ohio.

So, in order to think warmer thoughts -- here I sit, hoping for a 2nd attempt of an uninterrupted bubblebath.  Blogging.  In the hottest water imaginable.  Skin is red.  But I'm happy.

A computer sits inches from my bathwater.  If my blog so happens to be made public before it's finished...know that I died dreaming of balmy spring days and my Spring Strawberry Salad with Strawberry Poppyseed Dressing.

Ahhh...spring salad.  Fyi, I make this all year around because it's THAT awesome.   Ok, maybe not the salad part - but the dressing is AMAZING.  I drink it when no one is looking.  Kidding.  (Kinda.)  ***

Every time I make it for guests or take it to someone else's house, I'm asked for the recipe.  So much that I have pre-printed recipe cards in my front pocket wherever me and my salad go.  I'm so confident.  Idiotic.  And totally joshin' ya. ;) Below you shall find what you've been asking for.  Yes, I just ended that sentence with a preposition.  { Too tired. ;) }

For the salad part, you can put whatever makes ya smile.  For us (and mainly the hubby), I do a bed of baby spinach leaves.  Top with lots of sliced strawberries.  Add some dried cranberries.  (If cranberries don't complete you, use dried pomegranates, or blueberries which these are all on sale for ONE buck this week at Kroger - time to stock up, folks).  Then I whip up a homemade batch of sugared chopped almonds.  The perfect crunchy topping.  Now, the yummiest dressing your taste buds will ever, ever encounter.

{ Picture will be posted tomorrow.  Too tired. ;) }

Strawberry Poppyseed Dressing
• 3 T red wine vinegar              • 1/4 C. sugar

• 1/2 tea. salt                              • 1/2 tea. ground mustard
• 1/2 C. canola oil                      • 3/4-1 C. sliced strawberries
• 3/4 tea. poppy seeds {I've been fighting with the format of this last ingredient for 5 minutes.  Wahh, I can't make it right.  I GIVE, BLOGGER.  Too tired. ;) }

**UPDATE: By giving into Blogger, it corrected my format.  Ever so thankful.  And tired.

1. Place vinegar, sugar, salt and mustard in a blender.  Pulse to mix together.
2. Drizzle oil in until mixture is creamy.
3. Add strawberries and process until mostly smooth.
4. Add poppy seeds.  Pulse to mix together.
5. Refrigerate until ready to serve.  The longer it's refrigerated, the better.  But I've made it and let it sit for 15 minutes, and it still tasted divine.


***When strawberries are in season, your dressing will be just right with the above ratio of ingredients. However, during those times when they're not, just add a little more sugar and more strawberries to compensate for the lack of sweetness.


Now, go take your dressing, sit in a corner, and spoon feed yourself this yum yum mess.

Sighhh.  No casualties reported during this bubblebath and bloggin' time.  Nightey-nite.



2 comments:

  1. Ashley, reading your blog just makes my day! Dave and I were just talking about you and Scott and how exciting it is to see what God is doing for your little family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A most sincere "thank-you," Leah! On the what God's doing part. :) It's wonderful to grow deeper in all that He has for our lives. What it's all about...

    Hope you're having a wonderful week.
    Love,
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete